What to do when you have a water-damaged ceiling

It starts with a small coppery colored stain in the corner or you notice the paint on your ceiling starting to sag and chip. These are the early warning signs that indicate that you have a leak that needs to be dealt with. Once you see the stains you should take care of it immediately along we wait for larger the stain will grow and the more amount of money will eventually have to pay.

Apart from Stains here are a few examples of things that can indicate water damage:

  • Odors (such as a musty and/or earthy smell),
  • Discolored growths,
  • Peeling wall surfaces,
  • Or damaged ceilings (some ceilings even start to sag or cave in once they are damaged).

Once you’ve identified a problem area you have to start making some decisions. Sometimes it’s cheaper to replace the pipes rather than replace the damaged part of the ceiling but in any case left alone the damage will only get worse. If between the time you notice the problem and the time you start work on it you notice a significant worsening of the issue then it’s definitely time to have a look out from mold. If you neglect to do so health problems can occur.

Many ceiling leaks in homes, businesses and apartments are due to toilets leaking. In some cases toilets can lose up to 200 gallons of water a day and that water needs to find some way to go. If you are a tenant you must contact your landlord right away because he’s the one image to be making the decisions as to how to deal with it.

In any case just remember that when you see what damage on your ceiling the faster you deal with it the better. Call awater damage Restoration Company and let them take the burden off your shoulders.

Information about black mold testing

The toxic fungus that is black mold can be potentially deadly to anyone who is susceptible to it. It travels easily on the air and once inhaled into someone’s lungs it can cause severe breathing issues, blood-borne toxicity and other physical problems that could be fatal if not treated properly.

Anyone with an already weakened immune system should stay well away from mold and under no circumstances should attempt to clean it up. A professional mold remediation company is your best bet to make sure that you have gotten rid of all the mold.

These are a few things you should know about testing your home and office for this deadly mold.

  • Signs of black mold
    If you have a persistent water leak behind a wall or you detect a musty smell and cannot find where its coming from you may want to call in a professional to test for black mold. If you can actually see the mold do not approach it and by no means breathe it in.
  • Home testing kits
    You can purchase a home testing kit at stores such as home depot. Some will give you the result right then and there and some of them will ask you to mail in the sample that you’ve taken and the result will come afterwards. It’s worth noting that these kits are easy to use but not as accurate as professional testing.
  • Professional inspection
    While you can do it yourself it is highly recommended that professional mold removal experts have a look at your home or office for the presence of black mold. They have training and experience on their side when it comes to detecting mold.

I’ve suffered water damage what do I do?  

Whenwater damage isn’t dealt with of properly and in a timely fashion, it can ruin your home or business. Most people don’t realize the extent of the damage and attempt to remove the water on their own. While they may save money up front, the long-term expenses and health risks aren’t worth it. Here are some reasons why you could hire a water damage specialist team to help you in this sort of situation.

Professional advice

The average homeowner simply can’t tell whether or not water has ruined drywall, carpeting, furniture, draperies, and appliances. Water restoration specialists have the knowledge and the right devices, such as hydrometers, to determine the extent of the water and moisture. From there, they can give professional options and advice about how to deal with each item in the house. You’ll know if restoration is an option and when it’s best practice to throw something away. It’s best to act quickly and not take chances with your health.

 

Using the right equipment

Water damage remediation is most effective when using industrial level equipment including air blowers and water and moisture detectors. Restoration specialists also use industrial strength chemicals, sanitizers, and deodorizers. Advanced restoration techniques and tools minimize secondary water damage, ensuring that your home will be restored to its pre-flood condition. Household chemicals and household remedies simply don’t have the same effect.

 

Mold remediation

One of the most dangerous aspects of water damage is harmful contaminant growth including mold, mildew, bacteria, and fungus. This growth can start within 24 hours of water damage. If you don’t have extensive experience and the right gear, equipment, and chemicals for cleaning and getting rid of these contaminants, you may end up doing more harm than good. Airborne contaminants can bring about a wealth of health problems such as allergies and asthma. Professional mold removal eliminates these risks.Mold has been shown to contribute to many long-term negative health effects.

The statewide wildfires in California continue to blaze

As of August 10, 10,000 firefighters continued to battle 17 individual fires throughout California. The continuing heatwave and in Northern California thunder strikes continue to make their job difficult. There have been brief moments of relief firefighters. At night temperatures have cooled down slightly and high humidity in Northern California has aided their efforts but so far the fires are only about one quarter contained.

f

 

The risk of dry thunderstorms and dry lightning continues to elevate the fire danger. The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning for parts of California due to potential dry lightning and gusty winds.

 

Over the weekend there have been several thousand lightning strikes, especially across the Sierra and Central Coast. The sparks from a lightning strike can smolder for several hours or days before they get enough heat and energy to spread into a wildfire. This means the risk for wildfires continues even after the storms have passed. Everyone is encouraged to report a potential blaze as soon as it is sighted.

 

With fire activity remaining high, CAL FIRE is asking all residents and visitors to California to be extra cautious in the outdoors. Nearly 95 percent of all wildfires that CAL FIRE responds to are caused by the activity of people. One Less Spark this week means One Less wildfire. Learn more at www.ReadyForWildfire.org.