Finding out your sewers backed up can be one of the most damaging things to ever happen to your property. If you do not have it cleaned up quickly so it can be extremely detrimental to the family’s health. A water damage restoration company should be your first port of call. They will not only help you decide what it is you need to clean but they will also give you peace of mind doesn’t work is done for you. The main problem with a sewer backing up is that it is unexpected. Here are a few causes that can hopefully allow you to prevent it happening.
- Clog in the sewer system: Grease, hair, diapers, tree roots and other things you flushed down the toilet. Calls can of course be created by vandalism as well.
- Ageing sewer systems: many older properties have planning that dates back quite a few years possibly even to when it was constructed. Usually these systems are made of metal piping, which will deteriorate over time and will commonly burst.
- Problems with sanitary main pipeline: if something happens with the municipal water system and they do not attempt to sewage Backup into residential and commercial buildings. Sometimes this is due to insufficient system capacity.
- Construction accidents: often construction happening several houses away or further can cause a pace to break especially when using digging equipment.
- Combined pipelines: some systems use a combination of water and waste pipelines that run together. When you have heavy rain or flooding or great pressure on the system the pipes cannot contain the flow and it starts to back up in homes and businesses.
Sometimes it can be prevented, often it cannot be prevented but being prepared is the best thing. If you know who to call in an emergency then you will know how best to deal with the situation when it arises.